Monday, June 3, 2013

Aprons Out of Men's Shirts

Apron Made Out of a Man's Shirt
Repurposed Men's Shirts

This project is easy and fun. I like easy and fun... it's a great combo! My father passed more than two years ago and Mom gave me some of his dress shirts. A friend passed on a simple idea of making an apron out of a man's shirt. Dad wore a 2x tall-man and I knew this would be ideal... bc I need a large apron to cover up all the messes I make while cooking! I'm one sloppy cook! I knew this would be a great way to preserve memories and times of happiness w/ my dad bc this was his favorite shirt. We saw him wear it many times through the years.


Very cute and simple apron~!~!

How To...

Cut off the sleeves, and the back of the shirt. Be sure to leave about
and inch or more next to the seam because this will be tucked and sewn down
on top of the side seam that is already there.

From the collar, shoulder seam, measure 2 inches and mark with a pencil or
marking pen.

Measure from the mark to the bottom of the arm pit and draw
a straight line. Cut on that line.

You will need to iron (hippies always use irons and pins when they sew)
the seam making a "french hem" (sometimes called a shirt tale hem). Iron and then pin
into place as you go. Do this all around the apron: up both sides and to the collar and around the collar.

This hippie is the Queen of Zig-Zag. Begin zig-zagging close to one side of the
hem and then make another zig-zag stitch right next to it. This will ensure
that the hem is held into place and will not come unraveled during the wash.
I also like the "look" of this finish. I resembles a surger... I
don't have one .... so this comes close to making that stitch (in my
novice opinion).

For the ties, Cut out two long strips from the remnants. Make them 2 inches
wide. Press a center fold and then fold both edges inward.... keeping the folded edges
on the outside....Press and pin.


Zig-Zag stitch, tie knots in the ends and sew onto the apron...


Easy ~!~! Fun ~!~! And a wonderful memory of my Dad ~!~!

More men's shirts w/ potholders to match...

1 comment:

  1. I found a really cool mens gift site called www.thegiftsformen.com

    ReplyDelete